Friday, October 26, 2012

Andy's Story


Steve,

I love getting the updates on "Jerry's Story".

One of my favorite times with your Dad is one of my favorite stories to tell. My brothers Richard and Ray and I took your Dad to see the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima". We felt so honored to be sitting with a survivor of that famous battle, especially since our dad Del also fought there.

When the movie was over, we all commented on how "realistic" it was.

Jerry very soft spokenly said it brought back a lot of memories and that the makers of the film had done a great job recreating the scenes of Iwo Jima. As far as realistic, Jerry said it wasn't very realistic. The only way to recreate the realism of the day would be to have live ammunition fire flying by you from all sides and know that at any moment you could be dead!!!

He said this with such calm and authority that it has stayed with me every since. Only those who have lived through combat can really know the "realistic" fears and feelings that come with it.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

I miss your Dad and feel blessed that I got to know him the last few years of his life.

Sincerely,

Andy Brouillard



Andy,

Thank you for sharing this. And thank you for taking Dad to the movie. I know he talked of it frequently.

Steve

No comments: