Sunday, February 19, 2012

Iwo Jima

19 Feb 1945. Iwo Jima 0859

Along a front of volcanic ash beach, elements of the 3rd Marine Division, 4th Marine Division and 5th Marine Division forced Iwo Jima. It would turn out to be a turning point of the War. The plan was that the island would be taken in 10 days. It was not to be. 36 days later it was over.

The combat would be considered to be one of the most horrific in the Pacific Campaign.

I was able to speak with Jerry and Pat Femino and learned much in a short time. Jerry with the 4th MARDIV and Pat with the 5th Mardiv assault landed there and fought on that barren piece of real estate.
Much has been written and I would never do that epic event justice.

I would ask that you take a moment to think of all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. They were cut down fighting for this country and our liberty.

Unlike Jerry and Pat they were unable to raise families and lead productive lives. They made the difference in time for all of us.

A simple prayer that is dear to many of us in the profession of arms. In the darkest of times it may help to show you the way to the light. I don't expect everyone to understand. But here it is.

23rd Psalm
"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake. 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever."
We remember those Marines from that battle today. Most of all the ones we still have, but for only a moment. As the sun fades in the sky each day, so does the passing of those who survived.

Please keep the Sherlock family in your prayers.

No comments: